Welcome back to another episode of key takeaways from Funnel Hacking Live. Yesterday, I shared the most impactful points from Day 2, focused on using funnels to scale our businesses.
On Day 3 of Funnel Hacking, speakers Nick Santonastasso, Pedro Adoa, Peng Joon, Lauren Golden, Sarah Petty, Eileen Wilder, and Kiana Danial shared their secrets to gain traffic into our funnels and turn our leads into customers. Here are my key takeaways from the event.
Kiana Danial: Investing and Funnels
The average CEO is three paychecks away from filing for bankruptcy. Kiana Danial only earned the Two Comma Club Awards one year ago, and yet, she already has $4 million in her retirement account. She is now an author, award-winning personal investing and wealth management expert, and the CEO and founder of Invest Diva. However, she wasn’t always so successful.
Kiana was born and raised in Iran. At 18 years old, she moved to Japan to go school, then moved to New York City, the heart of global finance. During this period of life, she was fired from her job, dumped by her boyfriend, and broke. She hit rock bottom and felt like a failure. Since she still wasn’t proficient in English, she wasn’t unemployable, leading her to begin her own business: Invest Diva.
While Kiana was featured a lot on national television, she was still secretly broke. It took years for her to get to where she is today. One of the ways she helped make money was through investing and funnels. Here are some tips Kiana shared:
- Disclaimer: This is not financial advice.
- Investing helps you make your money work for you
- Time is the key ingredient for investing
- Day Trading = Gambling
- Long-Term Investing = make your money work for you
- While she was doing a lot of investing, the key ingredient Kiana was missing was a funnel. Once she discovered this, she went funnel crazy. Funnel obsessed is good. Funnel crazy is bad.
- Kiana launched 145 funnels, but she was still not making any money. Russell Brunson responded to her Facebook post. He said, “You’re doing too much. Focus on one thing.”
- Russell essentially told her to run Facebook ads to one group of people to help resolve one valuable painful problem at a time.
- Kiana knew she wanted to help moms take control of their financial future. So she deleted all of her extra funnels, stopped promoting the Cryptocurrency book, and focused on one funnel and one group of people.
- After 10 years of making almost zero money, she went very quickly to making $1 million from that funnel.
- The funnel after the funnel = compounding
- Help your money have babies, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren. Don’t spend the money. Invest the money. The goal is passive income.
Pedro Adao: Crushing it with Challenges
At the last Funnel Hacking Live Conference, Pedro Adao was a financial advisor. Today, he is the Challenge King and creator of Crush It With Challenges. Before discovering challenges and courses, Pedro lived in obscurity, running free retirement events in Northern California. With challenges, he helped create an 8-figure a year business in just their second full year online. He said the life he is living today is one he couldn’t have dreamed of.
In the early days of his business, a podcast host asked him, “Where can my listeners go to get more information about challenges?” Pedro gave him a URL link, but he didn’t have anything built on the URL. This meant he only had three days to get a funnel launched and three days to create a logo, offer, email list, audience of any kind, and automation. After reading Russell Brunson’s book, Expert Secrets, over and over again, he managed to make it happen.
Pedro originally had 300 people in his group, with about 100 who were engaged. 30 of those people joined by paying $995 for a 12 month membership. This became the start of his success as he found his people. When we find our people, we will find our purpose. When we find our purpose, it’s game over.
Challenges helped Pedro become successful. He has had four masterminds and Dean Grazioso contact him. Pedro has brought challenges into the modern era and now, he lives by them as the Challenge King with 52 challenges he’s created. Here are some of the tips he gave regrading challenge courses during Funnel Hacking Live:
- If you have money buy ads. If you have no money, put in the work to get organic traffic.
- When we create a free challenge course, we should make people apply to get it.
- You can only find your purpose when you find your people.
- We should stop doing pre-recorded stuff in our challenges. Instead, we should record live.
- What if you were born for such a time as this? Maybe we were born with a mission to help people.
- Approximately 8 to 1 lifetime return on ad spend.
- What is a challenge? It is a period of time (5-90 days) to create urgency. It should be time-based.
- Everyone in a challenge needs to commit to taking action.
- We should deliver live daily actionable training. Results-driven focus is one primary outcome.
- Our customers should have to overcome obstacles with daily assignments that builds momentum.
- Challenges get your ideal customer to actually consume your “stuff” so they can actually get results.
- Challenges make marketing simple because if you’re actually really good at what you do and you or your product really do help people, why not just prove it by helping people for FREE before ever asking them to invest any kind of real money? If we give our challenge course away for free, we can build a relationship and trust with our customers. This helps get them in the door for our other products and services.
- With a well-executed funnel, we can build trust.
- With one challenge, you can go through the entire value ladder in 5 days.
- Funnel hackers believe they are called to serve. Service to many leads to greatness. Anyone can serve. Therefore, anyone can be great. Challenges give you an ability to serve at scale.
- Whoever loves the customer the most will win
Peng Joon: Repurposing Content
Peng Joon gave a 28-minute keynote presentation at Funnel Hacking Live three years ago. He then took his presentation and made it into a book and a funnel, turning it into a Two Comma Club presentation. During this year’s Funnel Hacking Live, Peng explained how we can turn anything we are doing into another funnel and an asset that works for us forever.
- The goal is to build a system where you put $1 in and get $2 out.
- Peng did this by taking his presentation and turned it into a book. He had a front-end product with an order bump, which was a masterclass for $37. Then he had upsell #2, which was a recurring $97 subscription. By doing this, he spent $41 to acquire a customer who was buying an $80 product. This doesn’t even include that he built a list of 63,000 leads and he’s getting 1,500 recurring buyers at $97/month.
- Once Peng gets buyers into his funnel, he can get them to ascend into other funnels, webinars, etc.
- The New Way:
- Instead of paying for ads for your webinar or application funnel, have your application funnel and virtual events in the members area
- You get paid up front, and then you ascend the customer into another funnel
- Instead of running a 90-minute webinar, split the 90-minute webinar into a four-part series.
- Builds a free list, builds a recurring on the backend
- You can get paid getting buyers, not the other way around
- Backend high ticket sales from staking with other funnels
- Instead of trying to get a customer to make a sale, with this new setup, you make a sale to get a customer
- The Pyramid of Value:
- DIY(Do it yourself): has the lowest perceived value (like a book)
- DWY (Done with you): hand holding – show you step by step. The customer feels like they’re being supported through this journey. (This could be online courses.)
- DFY (Done for you): fill in the blanks – This is the thing that is going to take your business to a billion dollars.
- Front end is a DIY offer, then order bump, then DWY, then DFY.
- A book is not going to retire me, but a $97 recurring membership may.
- You’re not selling a course… information alone is not enough. We’re selling the other things around the information, like accountability, execution, people, network, etc. If you can bundle these things with your offer, that’s how you will succeed.
- You need to find everything you are doing in life and repurpose it.
Lauren Golden: Webinars and Communities
Lauren Golden is the CEO and founder of the Free Mama Movement, as she believes you don’t have to choose between family and financial freedom. She created a 35k Facebook group while she was a mother of three kids, however it took her a while to build her confidence to do this.
Initially, Lauren waited for someone to tell her what to do. She had voices in her head telling her she wasn’t ready and didn’t know enough. Then, she listened to a webinar by Liz Benny who showed her that you can start with nothing, and as long as you have a fire to motivate you to do something, you can make it work. Lauren just needed a push to get started, and now she is an incredibly successful entrepreneur. One of the things she has learned is how to build a successful community and attract people to our webinars.
- Four step re-enrollment webinar framework:
- 1. How do I get people to register?
- 2. How do I get people to show up?
- 3. How do I get people to stay?
- 4. How do I get people to buy?
- Use scarcity and urgency.
- Go live in your group every week.
- If you want to lead a community, do it. You’re not going to get the end result without showing up and doing it.
- Great leaders help people reach their goals. You don’t need to know everything or be perfect or be ready. But you need commitment and consistency.
- People are watching. When you show up for your community, people will show up for you.
- Make and keep promises. Establish that you are the leader and tell people how you’ll serve them, then do it.
- Put weekly live streams in the Facebook group header and promote it.
- Engage with people who are engaging with you. Make everyone feel seen and heard.
- “The company that can spend the most to acquire a customer wins.” – Dan Kennedy
- Nurture people who you are cultivating in community so they turn into community.
- Your community can drive traffic to your webinar funnel.
- Drive new traffic
- Transfer organic traffic to your email list (so it’s traffic we own)
- Que your offer reel
- Protect: There is no struggle-free life. Surround yourself with amazing people and an amazing team. It’s your job to keep your community safe. Tell the people what the group is for and not for. Set rules and enforce them.
- Create a space people want to come back to
- Our paid products send people back to a Facebook group, which gives you social proof
- If you remain fiercely loyal to your mission and the people you serve, then they will be insanely loyal back.
Sarah Petty: Putting Our Best Player on the Court
Sarah Petty’s daughter once came to her and said, “Mom, there is one open spot on the varsity volleyball team, and I want it.” Sarah thought it might be a long shot, but replied, “Someone’s going to get that spot; why can’t it be you?” Sarah’s daughter put in the work and trained in a place where other serious athletes trained. Eventually, her hard work paid off and the daughter won the spot on the varsity volleyball team.
Sarah compared this story to us as entrepreneurs. As entrepreneurs, we don’t subscribe to the “wait-in-line method.” Just as her daughter didn’t wait to be selected for the volleyball team, we don’t want to wait around for opportunities and sales to come to us. We need to put in the work and the time to make it happen ourselves.
Just as how a workout tears down muscles and causes discomfort, we, as entrepreneurs, have to go through the same process. We have to put ourselves out there with the goal to get on that other side of discomfort, the side where we make sales.
When Sarah had her twins, she quit her job and decided to turn her hobby of photography into its own business. In the beginning she priced herself really low and became overwhelmed with work. She realized she had given up a 9-5 job with vacation and benefits for a 24/7 volunteer job. She knew she couldn’t live the next 18 years of her life this way.
She compared this mistake of pricing herself too low as leaving the best team player on the bench. She asked, if you are the coach, do you leave the best player on the bench? No. As an entrepreneur, we should ask ourselves, “What is the best player I have sitting on the bench that I can put into the field?” For Sarah, the best player she was leaving on the bench was her “muscle to serve”.
Sarah developed her photography business into a high-end business where she taught clients how to sell wallportarits for thousands of dollars. However, once she realized who her player on the bench was (her muscle to serve) she realized that she needed to have a coaching program with a high-ticket offer, and so she created a virtual live event. They now have a high-ticket coaching program with more than 150 students and had 1200 attendees at her event. From her experience at the successful event, Sarah shared a few thighs she did to help:
- Sarah sent out a swag box with:
- Time-release swag notes
- A head trash trash can
- An intention bracelet where people write down what they want
- Stickers for mirrors
- If your event tickets can cover your costs, then everything else is a bonus.
- She wanted to create a way to expose the gap for her customers, so she created a gamification system.
- The gamification system was where people could rate where they were with their goals, red, yellow or green, and they could track the progress very visually.
- Scholarship funnel: People could apply for a 10-day event with a $495 value and to apply they have her a $99 refundable deposit to apply for the scholarship. Then, from their dashboard, she had 22% of buyers came from the free tickets.
Eileen Wilder: High-Ticket Funnel
At the beginning of her talk, Eileen Wilder asked, “How many of you would like premium high-ticket buyers lined up out the door around the building waiting to pay you a fortune?” Eileen was able to acquire a tribe of high-ticket buyers who are excited to pay top dollar prices and during the event, she shared how she did this. She shared how she hit the Two Comma Club in four months selling a $55k VIP day.
Before Funnel Hacking Live, Eileen used to live an ordinary life. Her husband was an Uber driver and they were broke. She often asked herself, “How can I save the world and make money?” Over the years, she found a simple three-step funnel that can help you get high-ticket clients.
- W. Clement Stone, Napoleon Hill’s friend, attributed his self-made wealth to, “Do it now.” He said this phrase to himself 100 times per day and he had his employees do the same.
- Successful people make decisions quickly and change them very slowly.
- “Procrastination is the assassination of your destination.” – Eileen wilder
- After coming home from Funnel Hacking Live the first time, Eileen made a funnel with a button to book a call and charged $297. It sold so she raised the price. She kept increasing the price to $2k, then $4k , then to $6k on the phone. With 12 people in the room, they hit 6 figures in one day.
- In you, there exists the ability to take a quantum leap.
- The enemy in your thoughts. The enemies number one goal is to keep you broke, busted and disgusted.
- It’s not about you. It’s about your calling, and those you are calling to reach, preach to and serve. The enemy knows that if he can rob you of your identity, he will rob you of your legacy. Her advice is to punch him in the face.
- People are often willing to pay a lot more to get something faster. For example, at Disney people pay extra for a Fast Pass.
- Sometimes we buy into the lie that we have to start with a low ticket before we go to a high ticket. However, Elon Musk proved this wrong. Elon musk created a low volume car which was expensive, then used that money to buy a medium-cost car, etc. It is called a descention funnel.
- We think we have to start at the bottom of the funnel. It isn’t true.
- We can start with a high-ticket product, and if we have a huge margin, you can be bad at ads and copy, and you can be serving clients at the highest level.
- “People who pay, pay attention.” – Russell Brunson
- “Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” – Matthew 6:21
- When we sell high tickets, we are inviting the heart into it.
- The offer you don’t make no one can take.
- One of Eileen’s clients was only charging a few hundred dollars per client for her matchmaking service. Then, she increased her price to $10,000 and she brought in five new clients in one day. Another client charged $30k and got 16 customers.
- When we charge more, we can increase the value we give to our customers.
- People over profits. Relationships over revenue.
Nick Santonastasso: Focus
Nick Santonastasso was born with no legs and only one arm. When he was born, he only had a 30% chance of living. Yet, despite these challenges, he became a successful entrepreneur, author, and speaker. During Funnel Hacking Live, he gave an inspiring presentation that left many people in tears. Here are some of the most impactful thoughts he shared:
- Great leaders ask great questions.
- Why is change so hard? If it were easy, we would each be living our dream life. Growth is often uncomfortable.
- Most of us can agree we didn’t have the perfect childhood. If we had, we wouldn’t have become who we are today.
- By the age of 35, 95% of your thoughts, words, and actions are on auto-pilot.
- Your software wants what’s comfortable, what’s known, and what’s certain. If you try to change your life, your brain sabotages you. People go back to what they know.
- We need to be aware of when our mind is sabotaging growth.
- What you focus on expands; you will get more of it, and you will feel it.
- We should focus on the things we have instead of the things we don’t have.
- We should focus on the things we can control.
- What we can control:
- Your software, what you are consuming on a daily basis.
- Your focus.
- The people you surround yourself with.
- There is always the next level of life. “The quality of your life comes down to the quality of questions you ask yourself on a daily basis.” – Tony Robbins
- Identify the event or scenario that’s holding you back. The next step is to ask yourself the golden question. What did you learn? What did you gain because of the situation?
- Once you find the lessons and gifts from challenges, you can liberate yourself from the pain.
- The secret sauce he was looking for is confidence. That comes from following through with the things you say you are going to do.
- Confidence and self work are the secrets to your success.
- How many times have you told yourself you’re going to exercise, start the funnel, etc. and then didn’t do it? When you break one promise, it’s easy to quit. Welcome to your downward spiral.
- Do the things we don’t want to do to override our programming.
- It is impossible to feel grateful and sad or grateful and angry at the same time. Focus on gratitude.
Russell Brunson: The Secrets of Success
Russell Brunson shared the seven secrets of success, what he also calls the science of achievement and the art of fulfillment. He explained that many people achieve the biggest things such as winning the olympics or building a huge company, but they aren’t fulfilled. While they succeeded in the tasks, they didn’t truly find success since they weren’t fulfilled.
Tony Robbins said, “Success without fulfillment is the ultimate failure.” The formula for true success is, Achievement + Fulfillment = Ultimate Success.
- Secret #1: The Invisible Battle Between Your Brain and Your Body.
- Our brain weighs 2% of our body weight, but consumes 20-40% of its calories. Chess players can consume as many calories as people who run marathons.
- When we get a choice, our brain tries to find a way to say no. We have to overcome this.
- Perfect practice makes perfect
- By the time you’re 35 years old, 95% of your choices are happening sub-consciously. We have to learn to rewire the 95%.
- Secret #2: Understanding Why You Do What You Do.
- The needs of the body
- Certainty (achievement need)
- Uncertainty/Variety (fulfillment need)
- Significance (achievement need)
- Connection and love (fulfillment need)
- “The quality of your life is in direct proportion to the amount of uncertainty that you can comfortably live with.” – Tony Robbins
- Whenever three of the four needs are met, it will create an addiction
- The sedation / settling trap: We try to hit goals and cannot do it. This is because our needs are being met somewhere else.
- For Russell, his business is an absolute addiction. We can create addictions that meet our needs.
- The Hero’s Journey: The same story framework was present in all mythical stories regardless of the time in history or the culture around the world.
- The hero enters with a goal he’s trying to achieve
- Every hero goes on two journeys, one to achieve, and one to become or find fulfillment
- The needs of the body
- Secret #4: Finding Your Why
- If you are going to go down that path you need to be committed to something.
- Most entrepreneurs fail, but you don’t have to fail. You have to find your why.
- If you are drawn to Clickfunnels, it’s highly likely you are one of the 1% crazy. Welcome home.
- Start with the why and move outward
- The thing that makes people go from good to champions, is the extra 20% the others aren’t doing.
- If you have the why, everything becomes easier.
- Secret #5: Finding Your Guide.
- When you pick a guide, you’ve got to put blinders on. Whatever he says I’ll do it.
- Pick a guide and do what they say.
- Secret #6: Becoming Worthy of Your Goal.
- Find your identity
- Entrepreneur, mom, dad, athlete, etc. – All these identities have a flaw. If your identity stops (such as getting injured), then your identity is crushed.
- The only identity that has no flaws is that of a learner. Because, even if we fail, we can learn from it.
- Learner is the identity that trumps all other ones.
- I believed … If I worked hard I could get better, etc.
- “You’ve been called by God to serve a specific group of people with your talents…”
- If you can think then you can solve a problem.
- “The only belief that matters is that if you put time and attention into getting better at something, you will get better. You don’t need to be special.” – Tom Bilyeu
- Secret #7: The Call to Contribution
- The needs of spirit, growth (achievement need) and contribution (fulfillment need)
Allison Prince: Selling Products
Allison Prince started her career as a Jr.High teacher. She had her coupon binder and lived with the belief that money was hard to get. However, she simply needed to change her mindset. She decided to stop learning to save and started learning to create.
In the beginning, Allison’s head was filled with head trash such as self doubt. In order to get rid of it, she had to start filling her head with truth. Now, Allison is an entrepreneur and coach, helping others get into the right mindset to create successful businesses. Here are some of the things she shared during Funnel hacking Live on finding products that sell:
- What hat are you wearing? Consumer or Producer? When we go into a business we cannot choose a product that we want to buy. We have to find products that will sell.
- Solve problems with a trending product to quickly create sales. We need to sell solutions to problems and not products.
- Look for trends. When Allision did this, she was able to sell blocks of wood that paid off her minivan in one day.
- We can also take two trends and merge them into one.
- Look for products from wholesalers, like Etsy Wholesale. These companies can often ship in a few days so you don’t have to put a lot of money in inventory.
- Buy samples first. Be sure it’s high quality. Don’t sell junk.
- Order small quantities. Selling out is good.
- Choose a product to learn the process. It doesn’t have to be one of your long-term products.
- Influencers need you. They are willing to do product swaps.
- Three-way win, you, followers and influencers.
- Benefits of an influencer:
- social media content
- professional and casual photos
- listen to their hooks
- create future ads
- much more
- Once we know it converts, that’s when we can run Facebook ads.
- The Lazy Way: let the influencers lead. Give the main influencer a downline when they refer us to other influencers.
- Surround yourself with a mastermind.
- Know this: You are your best investment.
Thank you so much for joining me today for my key takeaways from Day 3 of Funnel Hacking Live. Be sure to join the live stream tomorrow on YouTube, Facebook, or LinkedIn to hear my key takeaways from Day 4, the last day of the event.