Meet Your Digital Monetization Guide
My name is Nathan Gwilliam, the host of Monetization Nation. I will be your guide through your journey to become a better digital monetizer. Let’s imagine that you and I were going on safari to observe African wild animals together (I’ve always wanted to do that). If we were choosing between different safari guides, would we rather hire one who has never done it before or one with a lot of experience? We would probably want a guide with many years of experience successfully helping tourists quickly navigate to the best wildlife, while keeping them safe from the dangerous animals. This is similar to my role with this show; to help you navigate the most effective digital monetization strategies that can transform your profitability while helping keep you safe.
I feel so arrogant when I talk about myself, but I need to start off telling you a little bit about me and my story so you can trust me as your guide to become a better digital monetizer.
I am a Creator
I am an incurable creator. For some reason I always have to be creating and growing something. For example, I have a 5,000 square foot garden where I grow plants vertically, plus an orchard with 3 dozen trees. I have more than a dozen fruit trees growing inside my house.
I am also a serial entrepreneur and I am passionate about creating my own businesses. I have been building digital ventures for 24 years, ever since I won the university business plan competition my junior year in college and started my first business, Adoption.com, in a college computer lab. With a talented team we grew Adoption.com to be the world’s most-used adoption site. I’ve created and sold three digital ventures, including two that the Walt Disney Internet Group tried to buy.
I’m also passionate about helping grow other businesses, and over the years, I’ve helped many other companies grow. For example, I worked as a part-time consultant Chief Revenue Officer for one digital company and helped them add $5 million of new revenue in 12 months. The Walt Disney Internet group also tried to buy that company. As another example, I helped a local media company in a small market to grow their social follows from less than 100,000 to more than 110 million. According to Unmetric, that local media company reached more than 40 million monthly comments, likes, and shares, which I have been told made them the most engaging social channels of any publisher for a period of time. I also created a network of sites in multiple languages which reached more 280 million monthly uniques.
Not everything I’ve done has been successful. For example, in my first episode I shared the story of being a 25-year-old CEO of a publicly-traded software company in the year 2000 when the dotcom bubble burst and losing $11 million in a day.
What is the show about?
This Monetization Nation show is about digital monetization, which is the process of converting assets into revenue and profit. Many entrepreneurs, CEOs and other business leaders already have great assets, such as website traffic, social following, great products, technology, a book they’ve written, customer lists, data, expertise, a talented team, capital, and/or content. In this show, we will explore how to identify and more effectively monetize these assets.
Through the Monetization Nation blog, podcast, YouTube channel, eMagazine, and social channels I will be posting stories and secrets I’ve learned from my successes and failures over decades on my journey to become a digital monetizer. My goal is to help accelerate your success as a digital monetizer.
I will also be posting interviews with highly successful entrepreneurs, CEOs, marketers, and other digital monetizers who will share their monetization stories and secrets. I’ve already filmed 35 of these interviews. The interviews were originally about an hour each, but we’re editing them down to about 30 minutes with the best parts of the interviews to save you time.
On the show, you’ll hear me talk a lot about tectonic shifts in business. In geology, tectonic shifts are where the Earth’s tectonic plates move and cause destruction like earthquakes and volcanoes, or growth like mountain formations. We’ve all seen business tectonic shifts, such as the shift from bricks and mortar businesses to the Internet, the shift from yellow pages to search engines, or the shift from desktop to mobile. I will explain how to identify and leverage business tectonic shifts a lot more in upcoming episodes.
Today we are in the middle of numerous tectonic shifts, such as:
1. Connecting through Passions – For every free dollar or hour that our potential customers have, there are a thousand good things competing for those finite resources. Good isn’t good enough anymore. We must discover the level-10 passions of our potential customers and then build our products, messaging, and entire business around those passions, so that we can become a priority for the limited time and money of our potential customers.
2. Recurring Revenue – This is the tectonic shift from the one-time transactions mentality to the stability of recurring revenue streams. Think of Amazon Prime, Netflix and Disney+ as just a few examples.
3. Diversifying with Information Products – I’ll bet you’ve seen a lot of old-school companies start selling information products such as e-books, online courses and membership sites and to their client base.
4. Building Skyscrapers on Land We Own – This is the tectonic shift to building our own platforms where we control the relationships with our customers. As Russell Brunson says, “Until you have a list, you don’t have a business.”
5. Bridging the Credibility Gap – In the past businesses bought a lot of advertising and told the world how amazing they were. Businesses are finding that this strategy doesn’t work as well anymore. Most customers don’t trust what businesses say about themselves. This is evidenced by the rise of review websites. Most of our customers won’t even buy a book without consulting the reviews of other customers. So, businesses are facing the tectonic shift to communicate with their customers in more credible and effective ways.
6. Funnels – Customers used to spend a lot more time reading through websites and finding the things that interested them. Now, we only have 7-8 seconds on average to capture the attention of our visitors, or they will bounce, often to never return. This is the tectonic shift from cluttered websites to targeted sales funnels that help us hook our visitors, optimize our conversions and maximize the lifetime value of our customers.
7. Video Marketing – The tectonic shift to video marketing is seen in many ways, such as video advertising, live video, and promotional videos as the top of our funnels. Most of our customers prefer us to communicate with them through video instead of text, and video allows us to tell stories in much more compelling and engaging ways. Mark Zuckerberg called video a mega trend on the same magnitude of mobile.
Do you want to learn how to master tectonic shifts like these? In the Monetization Nation show we will explore these and other tectonic shifts that are transforming the business landscape. As you subscribe to and learn from the Monetization Nation blog, podcast and YouTube channel, you will learn how you can leverage these tectonic shifts to leapfrog your competition and accelerate your revenue and profits.
Why am I doing this show?
Some people may ask why I’m doing a show about digital monetization when there are so many things in life that are more important than money. As they say, “Money can’t buy happiness.”
I agree that there are many things in life that are much more important than money, and many things that can bring true and lasting happiness, money cannot buy.
Let me provide three examples of why money from digital monetization can give me the resources to take care of the things that really matter most in my life:
I Love My Family – My wife Crystal and I have been married 22 years and we have three beautiful daughters together. The money I generate from digital monetization can help me provide well for my family long term. It can help provide education for my daughters and help them achieve their dreams. It can help provide for the health and medical needs of my family. It allows us to go on adventures and create memories together. If I plan well, the money can even help provide for my family long after I’m gone.
My Faith – I am trying very hard to be a disciple (or follower) of Jesus Christ, even though I’m far from perfect. Churches and their ministries require money to operate. Digital monetization allows my wife and I to support the Church and its humanitarian efforts.
Social Contribution – I’ve taught a University course titled “Social Innovation: How to Change the World.” I’m very passionate about child welfare issues, especially helping orphans to find loving, permanent families, and have spent decades trying to help this cause. As I generate more money from digital monetization I’m able to make a greater difference for good.
What things matter most to you? How could increased revenue and profits from digital monetization help to support those things that matter most to you? This is one of the reasons I’m doing the Monetization Nation show. I want to help thousands of entrepreneurs, CEOs, marketers, and other business leaders to become better digital monetizers. I believe that helping them have those resources is one of the best ways I can help change the world for good. I know that as those entrepreneurs have the increased resources, they will be able to invest in stronger families, stronger faith communities, improved health, and greater social contribution.
Wanting to Pay it Forward
Furthermore, in each of my businesses, I have been blessed with mentors or partners who have given me great advice, made a huge difference, and without whom we would not have been able to reach our success. I want to pay it forward. I want to share what I have learned so that I can help mentor you and thousands of other entrepreneurs, CEOs and others.
I want to help you identify the assets you have or can develop. Then, I want to help you monetize those assets by leveraging tectonic shifts. Digital monetization can provide more resources to take care of the things that matter most in your life.
I’m in. What do I do next?
If you are ready to join us on this journey to become a better digital monetizer, I challenge you to do the following things today:
Get a free Monetization Assessment of your business
1. Follow the Monetization Nation Blog.
2. Subscribe to the Monetization eMagazine.
3. Join our private Monetization Nation Facebook Group.
4. Subscribe to the Monetization Nation YouTube channel.
6. Connect with Nathan on Linkedin.
7. Follow Monetization Nation on Instagram.
8. Follow Monetization Nation on Twitter.